May 17, 2012

The Ultimate Burrito

I cannot express how much my family loves Mexican food. It probably has something to do with being raised in the South and growing up on Tex-Mex food. In my house we love burrito night. I chop up a variety of veggies, Mexican herbs and encourage everyone to add generous toppings! This is how we make the ultimate burrito...

The Ultimate Burrito

First, I use Santa Fe Refried Beans; I highly recommend this brand! They are a great alternative to canned or if you do not have time to make your own. If you cannot find this brand at your local grocery store click on the picture below for pricing and reviews at Amazon.com

 
They are dehydrated pinto beans, how cool is that?!
To prepare just follow the directions on the package.

Santa Fe Refried Beans
I season the beans with:
1/2 cup of my favorite salsa
1/2 cup of shredded colby jack cheese
1 tsp diced jalapeños (optional)
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
kosher salt and pepper to taste
Please feel free to adjust all seasonings to your liking.

Then, I brown 1lbs of ground chicken and add the following seasonings:
Please feel free to adjust all the seasonings to your taste!
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin
kosher salt to taste

Ground Chicken

Next, I sauté yellow and orange bell peppers with purple onions.
Sauteed Veggies 

At last, I chop up avocados, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and shred colby jack cheese.
Veggies for Burritos


Finally, layer all ingredients on top of a burrito size flour tortilla and enjoy this simple and nutritious dinner!
The Ultimate Burrito

9 comments:

  1. Now I'm craving burrito's! I think the last time I had one was when I was 6 months pregnant and was still living in Virginia! Not many burrito places (that offer gluten-free wraps) here in Ottawa, Canada. That said....I can pick up some gluten-free wraps from the health food store and make this baby myself!! Looks totally scrumptious :) Hope you have a lovely weekend Audra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These burritos look SO tasty, Audra! Great recipe! Thanks for sharing. Also, I’m having a ChicWrap giveaway today that you should enter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This burrito sounds amazing! I have tried those refried beans and they ARE better than canned but for some very strange reason I cannot explain I keep going back to the canned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Looks delicious to me! I definitely have a craving for a big burrito now! I'm happy to be your new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! Mexican food is a favourite in our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang. I wish I would have had this for supper.

    Dehydrated pinto beans...didn't know such a thing existed. Wild!

    Thanks for linking up again this week. I apologize for taking so long to stop in and see you. My tail was kicked this week.

    You asked if I have a FB page--not for my blog, but I do have a personal FB page (that I hardly ever use!) I'll follow your page right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These burritos were the top viewed link at last week's See Ya In the Gumbo. Featuring them this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are crazy for Mexican food at our house. This is one amazing looking burrito. Love.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...