May 25, 2012

Turkey Basil Meatballs

You know how some families love meatloaf and it is apart of their regular meal rotation? I must admit... I have never made traditional meatloaf! Shocker, I know! You probably thought that was a mom specialty. I may not be an experienced meatloaf maker, but I can make some meatballs, so on to the recipe...

Turkey Basil Meatballs

Turkey Basil Meatballs
1 lbs ground turkey
1 egg slightly whisked
     2 TBS chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp of dried basil
   (I highly recommend fresh basil if possible)
1 TBS finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion powder or 1/4 onion finely chopped
1 tsp garlic and herb seasoning
1/4 tsp kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
3 TBS shredded parmesan cheese
2 slices of toasted bread for breadcrumbs
Click here
for a tutorial on how to make quick and easy homemade bread crumbs.
Olive Oil

Combine all ingredients (don't forget the bread crumbs) and mix well (best to use your hands to mix) and form evenly sized meatballs. When forming turkey meatballs I coat my hands with a little olive oil. Fresh ground turkey tends to be really soft and I find adding olive oil to your hands before making them forms a nice, sturdy meatball.
meatballs evenly rolled

Now, warm a frying pan with enough oil to cover just the bottom ( I use an iron skillet). Use tongs to place the meatballs in the pan. When placing them in a heated pan swirl the bottom of the meatballs in the oil to ensure it will not stick to the bottom of the pan as it is cooking. I cook on a gas stove, so I start on medium heat and reduce  to medium- low heat as the meatballs are cooking. Adjust temperature to your stovetop.

cooking turkey basil meatballs

Turn often and cover between turnings.Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. The end result... a mighty fine Turkey Basil Meatball.
These meatballs pair very well with a Tomato and Herb Sauce and a side of angle hair pasta, topped with shredded or shaved parmesan cheese.

Tomato and Herb Sauce
1- 15 oz can tomato sauce
1- 6 oz can tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth (add more if needed)
1 TBS of fresh chopped oregano or 1 tsp. dried oregano
1 TBS of fresh chopped basil or 1 tsp. dried basil
1 TBS of fresh chopped marjoram or 1 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp garlic & herb
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp red pepper
(add a bit more for a little more spice)
1 TBS honey
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or longer. Stir occasionally.
Serve over meatballs and top with shredded or shaved parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful day!

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just recently been introduced to turkey meatballs...something I never thought of before! This is a great recipe to try (I'd just use gluten-free bread) and I know my boys would love it too :) Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy~
    New follower from Texas Bloggers. Hope you will drop by and do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try this recipe as an alternative to traditional meatballs. Perfect timing for a lower calorie version! Glad you shared this recipe!
    Theresa @ DearCreatives.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...