July 10, 2012

Guest Post {Chew Love}



Hello Once a Mom, Always a Cook Readers! My name is Amanda, the blogger over at
Chew Love
and I am so excited to guest post for all of you. This is also my very first guest post, so I hope I don't completely bomb. Chew Love is a blog that follows my journey as a newlywed and finding my way around the kitchen. I am an advocate for healthy living and eating our meals with family around the table.

Growing up, my family never had sit down dinners together and now that I am starting my own family with my husband, I know that this is an important thing I want to provide for my future children. I also believe that making your own meals is extremely important to stay healthy. I like knowing exactly what is going into my food and meals at home taste better than most things you can get at a restaurant.

I wanted to share two of my all time favorite dishes with y'all that make the perfect Summer Dinner! My great Grandmother, Momo's pork chops and my Avocado, Chickpea and Quinoa Salad. These are staples in our home and everyone I have cooked them for has loved these recipes. Thanks so much for letting me share these with you! I hope you enjoy them.

To follow my journey and see all my recipes follow me on Facebook and Twitter or stop by
www.chew-love.com


Momo's Pork Chops
: I came across this recipe a few months ago as I was thumbing through my mom's recipe book. I came to a page that had a couple of recipes from my Great Grandmother, Momo. They were written in her hand on pieces of scrap paper and I knew I had to copy them down and try them out. I can just picture her in the kitchen with her apron on cooking these for her family in the 1930's. I was lucky enough to know my Great Grandmother and Grandfather growing up. So I like to think that she is smiling down on me every time I make these.

Momo's Pork Chops



What you need:
  • 4-6 boneless pork chops
  • Italian salad dressing
  • 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
Place pork chops in a large ziplock bag with enough Italian dressing to coat the pork chops. Let marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile combine breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and pepper in a shallow dish. Remove chops from the ziplock bag and coat with breadcrumb mixture. Place pork chops in a glass baking dish and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until they are cooked through.

Avocado, Chickpea and Quinoa Salad:
I don't know about you, but I am obsessed with Quinoa. This is the perfect recipe for summer time and is one of my all time favorites! The Quinoa and chickpeas give it a great dose of protein and it makes a great side dish or a wonderful Vegan dinner. It is refreshing, filling and oh so healthy! Going to a lot of BBQ's this Summer? Bring this dish, and you won't believe how many compliments you get.

Avocado and Chickpea Salad


What you need:
  • 1 cup uncooked Quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 avocados, diced
  • 2 cups spinach, thinly chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
For the Dressing:
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • juice from 2 lemons
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 tsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a small saucepan bring Quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes or until water is absorbed. When done, set aside and let cool. Meanwhile, combine all chopped and diced vegetables in a medium size bowl and whisk all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Once Quinoa has cooled, add it to the medium bowl and then pour the dressing over and gently mix everything together. Let chill in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes so flavors blend. Serve cold. Happy Chewing!

1 comment:

  1. Your Avocado, Chickpea and Quinoa Salad looks DELICIOUS!!! I'm definitely going to try this recipe - I have tons of quinoa on hand...like you, I'm obsessed! Its so healthy and delicious :) Lovely guest post, you did wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...