July 16, 2012

Avocado, Spinach, Basil Pesto

Hi everyone, long time no see! I have been out for a few weeks, but I had some pretty amazing guest bloggers filling in for me while I was away. I hope you enjoyed all those wonderful dishes they brought over for us!
Today I am sharing  a simple recipe for Avocado, Spinach, Basil Pesto. Yes, it is pretty amazing. My garden is bursting with basil right now, so I have been adding basil to everything. This recipe was inspired from Giada's recipe,
Linguine with Avocado and Arugula Pesto.

Avocado, Spinach, Basil Pesto

Avocado, Spinach, and Basil Pesto
2 small avocados, halved, peeled, and seeded
2 cups baby baby spinach leaves
2 packed cups fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil

Add the avocado,spinach, basil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper to a food processor or a blender such as a Vita Mix. Slowly add olive oil and b
lend until smooth. I used close to a 1/2 cup of olive oil in my pesto, but you could use less if needed.
This pesto paired well with linguine pasta noodles and best topped with grilled chicken and garden fresh diced tomatoes.

How to prepare the pasta:
In a large pot bring salted water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 lbs of pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite. Stir occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes.
Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.

In a large serving bowl add linguine and toss with pesto.
Add 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh grated parmesan and add pasta water as needed to loosen the sauce.

How to prepare the grilled chicken:

balsamic vinegar marinade

Balsamic Vinegar Marinade
1/4 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp garlic and herb seasoning
3 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
2 TBS Water

Directions

1. Whisk together all ingredients for the Balsamic Vinegar Marinade. Add the marinade to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast. Marinate for at least 10 minutes.  

2. Heat grill  to 400 degrees and spray with Pam grilling spray. Place chicken breast on grill and turn chicken occasionally. Cook chicken until the internal degree reaches 170. Place in foil and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.

Grilled Chicken

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. YUM! This looks great. Hope you enjoyed your time away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really delicious! I'll have to try it! I'm happy to be your newest follower via the Sunday Social, and would love a visit back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! This looks pretty darn amazing! Love the pesto recipe, adding avocado is brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing my cucumber subs!! I have been following your blog for quite some time, and I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful.. Love anything with avocados. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday
    marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I need to try this marinade soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you through Amee's Fit and Fabulous Fridays and I had to check out this pesto! Really great ingredients! Glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...