April 17, 2012

Tuesday's Kitchen Tip {Is it done yet?}

I cannot express how obsessed I am about my meat being at a safe temperature! I have a hidden fear of serving my family undercooked meat and because of this secret anxiety I have overcooked my fair share of meat. Now I fear no more! I have a Digital Instant Read Probe Thermometer on hand at all times when cooking meat to ensure I do not under or overcook meat. I highly recommend an instant read over a dial thermometer. Not only does a instant read give you an accurate, fast, and visible read; it is all in a press of a button.

There are many thermometers to choose from, all ranging in price. I purchased a Taylor TruTemp Instant Read Digital Thermometer for about $10. It is everything you would expect out of a thermometer!
Never ask yourself, "Is it done yet?" again!


533893

 

USDA Recommended Safe Minimum Internal Temperatures
source

Did you know?
According to USDA research, 1 out of every 4 hamburgers turns brown before it reaches a safe internal temperature.

The only safe way to know if meat, poultry, and egg dishes are "done" is to use a food thermometer. When a hamburger is cooked to 160 °F as measured with a food thermometer, it is both safe and delicious!

Cook all raw beef, pork, lamb and veal steaks, chops, and roasts to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F as measured with a food thermometer before removing meat from the heat source. For safety and quality, allow meat to rest for at least three minutes before carving or consuming. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook meat to higher temperatures.

Cook all raw ground beef, pork, lamb, and veal to an internal temperature of 160 °F as measured with a food thermometer.

Cook all poultry to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer.

Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful day :)

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't live without my digital thermometer. We use a Thermapen....quite a bit more expensive, but with a 3 second (or less) read out, it allows us to open our grill and shut it very fast without losing heat. Loving your kitchen tips.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...